Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Morimoto

What a gorgeous restaurant (but I wouldn't expect anything less from Stephen Starr). We went for Morimoto's "Signature Hour," so the drinks and appetizers were half off. However, I would love to go back and try some raw fish and sushi. Therefore, please note that this blog entry is about the signature hour appetizers, but hopefully there will be another one sometime about dinner. (Hint: order the sparkling ume if you like champagne).


Spicy Lobster Skewers: I could not believe this was only $7 because there was plenty of lobster and it was absolutely dynamite (no pun intended, since it truly was spicy!) The lobster was far from chewy; it just melted in my mouth and was accompanied by spicy orange sauce for a great kick. I was pleasantly surprised to taste such quality lobster at a "happy hour" type of event.


"Angry" Wings: I'm not sure why they were angry (they really weren't that spicy) but the flavor was wonderful - sweet, sticky, and tangy. The crunchy rice noodles on top were an annoyance and not needed.


Pork Gyoza: There was a nicely-sized piece of pork inside the dumpling - and it tasted great - but I wasn't too crazy about the dough (it was almost too crispy for me; I like it a little more delicate and thin).


Kobe Spring Rolls: This dish was my 2nd favorite after the lobster skewers. I don't remember the crispy shell as much, because the kobe beef's flavor was overpowering, in a wonderful way. What I liked about all of these appetizers, including this one, is that the meat/filling was never skimpy.


Morimoto Brownies: No wonder this is their most popular dessert - it was fantastic! The fudgy brownie bites would have been wonderful on their own, but the caramel dipping sauce and candied walnuts not only made it fun to eat, they added immense flavor and sweetness. This dish is a definite must-order for anyone that loves caramel.

No comments:

Post a Comment